Download The Ultimate Guide to Hospital Noise Control
Noise can have a negative impact on patients in a medical facility:
- Loud noises can induce a “startle reflex” which leads to grimacing, increased blood pressure and increased respiratory rates for patients.
- Prolonged loud noises can lead to memory problems, irritation, impaired pain tolerance and perception of isolation.
- Sleep disturbance and deprivation are frequently cited issues in healthcare environments.
- ICU patients are more likely to be negatively impacted by poor environmental conditions. Reduced noise may help patients sleep and foster a regular wake-sleep cycle.
- Mechanical noise may be a source of annoyance and result in higher blood pressure and sleep disruption.